Product Development Specialist
ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain and inspire through the power of public media.
We are actively pursuing a dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Product Development Specialist in Wixom, MI.
Under the supervision of Detroit Public Television’s Senior Manager, Foundations & Development Strategy, the Product Development Specialist will work within the strategic vision of the organization’s leading initiatives to develop and build fundable product plans for use by the corporate, foundations and major gifts team.
The Product Development Specialist is responsible for understanding opportunities related to the stations programming areas: Arts & Culture, Leadership & Public Affairs, Children & Education, Energy & Environment. This individual will start with the relationship building and idea stage and use that knowledge to develop fundable products for the station to deliver. Working with the development team, this individual will create tangible sales packages, presentations, and other materials positioned to align with funder interests and the station’s mission.
Collaboration with internal departments and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously are critical to this role to ensure early input from stakeholders, commitment to the product plan, and consistent understanding of the product throughout the building.
- Develop and design sales packages, project proposals, and other funding presentations based on funder interests including deliverables, timelines, and budgets through understanding of project concepts, ideas, and station relationships.
- Create and maintain a library of resources to use in the creation of customized packages for proposals while gaining efficiency though repetition of past success.
- Collaborate with the communications, operations, and content departments to ensure all products are aligned with the station brand and mission; ensure full understanding of all communications, administrative, and production support required for each product.
- Educate staff regarding the deliverables, timelines, and budgets of each product ensuring a consistent message to all supporters and the community and supporting a successful product delivery.
- Manage asset inventory to ensure consistent recognition, placement, and visibility for funders across all platforms.
- Support the development teams in developing written copy for solicitations and donor communication materials.
- Collaborate with Business Development Coordinator to successfully track and fulfill deliverables for funded projects.
- Participate in evaluation process and facilitate data for grant reports or proof of performance summaries to be shared with funders as requested.
- Conduct market research to understand the funder needs and develop program, event and initiative sponsorship opportunities that offer solutions to help fuel their growth. Continuously think creatively and understand market demands and changes to introduce new product concepts.
- Attend events and fundraising activities as a DPTV/WRCJ employee, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, with ability to effectively communicate simple yet strategic and complex messages for various audiences
- Strong design skills and experience using PowerPoint, Illustrator, Photoshop, Visio
- Strong analytical skills; experience analyzing, interpreting, and reporting data.
- Proactive in anticipating needs and reacting to urgent requests
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and effectively and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to successfully meet deadlines and handle multiple responsibilities under pressure on a consistent basis
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, or related field preferred
- 5+ years of experience in product development, sales, fundraising, marketing, or communications
- 5+ years of experience developing proposals and presentations
- 3+ years of experience in project management preferred
- Media/production and non-profit experience preferred
What you’ll get
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties.Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 11/9/2020
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.