Producer, Local & National Projects
ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain and inspire through the power of public media.
We are currently actively recruiting for our Producer, Local & National Projects position located in Wixom, MI.
The Producer, Local & National Projects is responsible for managing the production, creative team, crew, script, budget, marketing materials, packaging and deliverables of DPTV’s national and local television productions, pledge events, and initiatives, as well as producing DPTV local pledge events.
- Produce local and national television and digital programs, series, fundraising programs, concerts, digital content, short-form videos, virtual events, and pledge events; including scheduling crew, talent, and all equipment and facilities, scripting, booking talent, conducting interviews, determining b-roll needs, editing rough cuts overseeing final program edit, preparing graphics, booking travel, overseeing set design and lighting, producing roll-in materials, and other duties essential to the production.
- Produce marketing videos including promos, teasers, and toolkits.
- Maintain strong relationships with clients throughout the production window and ensure completion of all project deliverables.
- Create and reconcile project budgets.
- Review business development proposals to ensure deliverables are in line with products and services DPTV can fulfill in terms of resources and budget.
- Oversee work and assignments of freelance producers and directors.
- Manage the production internship program including selection, training, and overseeing the completion of an end of semester project.
- Maintain a working knowledge of program, product, and fundraising trends nationally.
- Manage program and pledge talent guest relations, and donor requirements including travel, schedules, tickets, in-kind donations, acknowledgements, etc. for all national program and pledge productions.
- Compile program and performance research and information as required.
- Produce local pledge programming, talent booking, and assist in the planning of local pledge program schedules based on tickets, special guests and past program performance.
- Function as department project manager; create and maintain a timeline of standards and required assets needed across all DPTV departments for effective program production, marketing and distribution, managing coordination and communication of all details internally and externally.
- Coordinate all press and promotions related to premiere national projects including web, on-air and local media; working with DPTV Communications team, program publicity agent(s) and other related contacts.
- Source and/or develop effective program premiums and ancillary product; Negotiate and confirm all pricing information and product details related to premium items purchased from third party vendors including books, CDs and DVDs.
- Track and analyze DPTV station sales, program carriage, programmer feedback, and ratings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; including clear storytelling and script-writing
- Ability to negotiate effectively
- Ability to manage resources effectively
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to contribute creative ideas
- Excellent organizational ability with strong attention to details
- Excellent follow up skills
- Excellent ability to self-prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines at the same time
- Solution-oriented under high pressure
- Effective influence and leadership skills to motivate teams
- Ability to complete tasks within budget and time constraints and prepare necessary reports
- Basic knowledge of production set ups
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or similar discipline, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years production experience
- 2+ years marketing experience
- 2+ years of experience managing project budgets
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel
- Ability to work a varied schedule including occasional evenings, weekends, and some holidays
What you’ll get
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties.Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 8/31/2020
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.