PBS Books Social Media Producer – Freelance
ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain and inspire through the power of public media.
Who We Are
PBS Books is the books and author-focused arm of PBS, operating out of Detroit, but serving a national audience of readers, teachers, librarians, and current affairs enthusiasts. PBS Books is looking for a creative, organized, and ambitious Social Media Manager to focus on engaging and expanding our audience. Under the direction of our Engagement Editor, you’ll couple the latest strategies with a mix of media to interact with and grow our audience.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Freelance Social Media Producer.
What you’ll do
The ideal candidate is a creative self-starter with a passion for tapping into and building online communities within the books, reading, book club, library, media and other literacy-oriented communities. An interest in books, authors, media, and current affairs is vital to this position. Above all, the right candidate has a desire to grow PBS Book’s audience through exciting, engaging storytelling.
- Manage PBS Books social channels, leading to an increase in engagement, followers, and video views
- Develop a robust social media strategy to grow the PBS Books social media presence
- Write copy for all posts to our social accounts
- Proactively recommend creative content for upcoming episodes and ancillary content that will drive audience engagement
- Coordinate virtual literary engagement events on various digital platforms
- Create complementary content to go with episodes, such as GIFs, audio clips, screen images, and short video clips
- Conduct outreach to amplify the reach of our PBS Books and coordinate with larger PBS programming initiatives.
- 2-4 years relevant social media management experience at a publication, agency, or brand with an emphasis on video distribution. A passion for books required; experience in book-related business or industry a strong plus.
- Deep interest in media marketplace required; familiarity with public media marketplace a strong plus
- Demonstrated ability to write social-friendly copy, ability to cultivate stories from strong PBS Books archive and new content and graphics
- General understanding of the evolving social media landscape and ongoing desire to stay on top of changes to platforms and best practices
- Enthusiasm for change, and corresponding flexibility with workflow
- An incredible attention to detail and intolerance for errors
- You understand the role that social video can play in reaching new audiences and have proven experience using social video to grow Facebook accounts
- You can use your iPhone to shoot and create engaging social video
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 6/23/2020
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.