Freelance Content Manager, Michigan Learning Channel
ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain and inspire through the power of public media.
We are actively pursuing a dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Freelance Content Manager in Wixom, MI.
- Identifies instructional and educational content available for acquisition and identifies content production needs and opportunities for the Michigan Learning Channel. Makes recommendations on how to prioritize content for funding and development.
- Assists with communicating state educational standards and scope and sequence for each program, both on the website and in new content for the channel.
- Provides easily understood language to make daily and weekly broadcast content educational goals clear to parents and educators.
- Coordinates with production and operations to make necessary edits to selected programs.
- Coordinates with the Michigan Association of Intermediate School Administrators (MAISA) task force and other advisors to implement their content recommendations.
- Explores opportunities for content partnerships with additional educational entities in Michigan, the PBS stations system, and beyond.
- Advises on the development of lesson plans, discussion questions, assessments, and other materials to accompany lessons.
- Commissions, creates and/or delivers professional development materials to support educators in using Michigan Learning Channel resources.
- Coordinates with the engagement team to communicate resources and programming to parents, educators, and education leadership in Michigan.
- Tracks available programs and coordinates with scheduler and programmer around when programs will be broadcast on air; also coordinates with the digital team to ensure that all content is posted to the Michigan Learning Channel website in a timely manner.
- Implements strategy for using interstitial content to advance educational goals.
- Works with evaluator or research teams to coordinate an evaluation strategy to assess the network’s impact.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to negotiate effectively
- Ability to manage resources effectively
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to contribute creative ideas
- Excellent organizational ability with strong attention to details
- Excellent follow up skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Leadership skills required
- Ability to interact and work in a team environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or similar discipline, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of experience with curriculum
- 3+ years of experience managing project budgets
- Television production skills/experience a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel
What you’ll get
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties.Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 10/9/2020
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.