Digital Platforms Coordinator, Michigan Learning Channel
ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain and inspire through the power of public media.
We are actively pursuing a dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Digital Platforms Coordinator in Wixom, MI.
The Digital Platforms Coordinator is responsible for the daily digital video and web content for the Michigan Learning Channel. The primary responsibilities of this role are transcoding broadcast files into digital video files for web content, captioning, and posting associated resources to a website. The video resources include additional videos, audio files, and other file assets including documents, spreadsheets, PDFs or similar. Tasks include knowledge of video compression and codecs specifically for web-based video, basic video editing, captioning technologies, and website maintenance.
- Support the Michigan Learning Channel digital platforms through post-production processing of video for web content, including:
- Video compression and transcoding using Carbon Coder, Adobe Premiere Pro CC and similar applications
- Basic video editing
- Captioning for web video using Adobe Premiere Pro and Telestream CaptionMaker/MacCaptions software
- Support the Michigan Learning Channel website in alignment with the initiative goals, brand identity and voice. Regularly review content for accuracy, accessibility, and design.
- Create web pages for DETF public and internal facing web properties using basic HTML and content management system (CMS) tools similar to WordPress
- Distribute video content to digital distribution platforms like YouTube and Vimeo
- Optimize video for search engine optimization through title, description, and other meta data development
- Analyze data using Google Analytics; manipulate data in Excel, and synthesize large amounts of information into
meaningful charts and presentations
- Support social media and e-newsletters for the Michigan Learning Channel
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to work effectively with people across all lines of the organization
- Ability to set and meet deadlines, work irregular and extended hours
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro CC
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite and Google Docs especially Google Sheets
- Knowledge of Telestream CaptionMaker helpful
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS and CMS knowledge, WordPress and/or Drupal
- Attention to detail very important
- Bachelor’s degree in Digital Communications, Broadcast Journalism, or similar field.
- Experience with website content management systems such as WordPress and Drupal, and Google Analytics tools.
- Experience in working with large subscriber and social media constituent lists.
- Experience with web design HTML and CSS editing software.
- 1+ years of experience with video editing tools including Adobe Premiere Pro CC
- 1+ years of experience in website support
- Proven ability to build and manage project plans and tasks to committed deadlines.
What you’ll get
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties.Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 10/1/2020
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.