Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
We are actively seeking dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Technician, Maintenance in Wixom, MI, in a hybrid work structure.
The Maintenance Technician is responsible for maintenance and repair of television equipment, as well as the setup and troubleshooting of the equipment on live remote and studio productions.
- Setup and maintain studio and remote productions and related equipment
- Install and perform preventive maintenance on the station’s control consoles, boards, recording equipment, microphones, and a wide variety of other station equipment and electronic systems
- Interact with clients to help assess their technical needs to develop a technically sound plan for production
- Act as liaison with manufacturers to coordinate and authorize warranty repairs for both preventative and predictive maintenance
- Assist users with difficulties associated with video production switchers, graphics platforms, camera systems, studio lighting, video servers, analog/digital audio mixing equipment, intercom systems, etc.
- Assist with radio station maintenance and production
- Transmitter maintenance
- Other duties as assigned
- Self-starter with the ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Detail-oriented with the ability to understand and follow instructions
- Team player with a strong sense of responsibility
- Strong technical and communication skills
- Associate’s Degree or 2+ years of relevant college education or equivalent experience
- 3+ years working with basic broadcast equipment including but not limited to: video switchers, routers, audio consoles, video servers, cameras, etc.
- 3+ years working with basic TCP/IP networking and networking components
- 4+ years experience with television broadcast production equipment
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Available to work varied hours including weekends and holidays
- Knowledge of IT interfaces with Windows and Mac systems
- Push, pull, stoop, bend, climb, balance, kneel, crouch and/or crawl
- Lift 50 pounds
Individual is exposed to a variety of indoor and outdoor environments. Individual will work with machinery and electrical power up to 35 thousand volts as well as high power high frequency radio frequency energy.
What You’ll Get:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid in-person and work from home model
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team
Posting Date: 5/23/2023
*No telephone calls or third parties.
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.
Sign up for DPTV eNews
Find out about the new member benefit that lets you watch your favorite shows anytime.