Strategic Business Planning Analyst
Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
We are actively seeking dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Strategic Business Planning Analyst in Wixom, MI, in a hybrid work structure.
Over the past decade, Detroit Public Television has evolved from a television station distributing national PBS programming into a highly engaged and responsive nonprofit media organization serving the information, education, and entertainment needs of Detroit, the most important city in America. This growth has come alongside a sea change in media viewing habits, the explosion of new platforms, as well as new social media and digital distribution tools.
The mission of the Strategic Business Planning team is to develop short, medium, and long-term plans enabling DPTV to sustainably serve audiences with vital information across five pillars: education, journalism and public affairs, energy and the environment, health and well-being, and arts and culture. As Michigan’s only community-licensed PBS Station, DPTV is committed to engaging diverse audiences to deliver relevant content and engage citizens on a variety of platforms.
The Strategic Business Planning Team has been established to guide the future of Detroit Public Television by doing community needs analysis, spotlighting promising opportunities for growth, identifying key partnerships and important funding sources, and building materials for the Development Team and each of the initiative managers to secure sustainable funding and build a comprehensive vision of service to the community.
This is primarily an internally facing position, acting as an internal coach, consultant, and advisor to the initiative leaders, but with a healthy dose of external relationships with stakeholders and funders.
- As part of the Strategic Planning team, lead development and execution of the organization’s strategic plan in alignment with its mission and goals, aligning resources toward building the station’s reach, impact, capabilities, and long-term sustainability.
- Collaborate with program leadership, internal and external stakeholders to develop specific plans around each major initiative within the five key content pillars of Detroit Public Television: education, journalism and public affairs, energy and the environment, health and well-being and arts and culture.
- Identify emerging trends, challenges, and opportunities relevant to DPTV pillars and the media landscape, including collecting key data, online resources, studies, and stakeholder information to inform strategic decisions and support conversations with funders and stakeholders.
- Identify potential partnerships, collaborations, and new revenue streams to enhance the organization’s impact and sustainability, making presentations to donors as required.
- Evaluate and make recommendations whether to pursue new ideas and opportunities, assessing viability, capacity, and alignment with strategic goals.
- Develop and continuously update key documents describing each initiative’s purpose and goals, including a written strategic brief and a PowerPoint deck for each initiative, as well as working with the Product Development Coordinator to create materials for use in fundraising asks.
Performance Management and Evaluation
- Develop and monitor key metrics to assess the success of strategic initiatives.
- Turn organizational data into useful insights, recommending adjustments to ensure strategic goals are met.
- Lead or participate in engagement meetings with individual stakeholders and advisory boards to understand community perspectives and gain insight into DPTV’s work.
- Serve as a liaison to outside evaluators engaged for specific grants.
- Regularly share results and insights with the SBP team, initiative leaders, and senior management.
Internal Consulting and Collaboration
- Serve as a thought partner within the Strategic Business Planning team, collaborating to evaluate ideas, solve problems, identify issues and select opportunities for development.
- Provide support, coaching, and collaboration with initiative managers to help them develop short, medium, and long-term plans or new projects
- Collaborate with departments such as editorial, marketing, technology, and finance to align strategic priorities and initiatives.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Exceptional writing and communication skills, including the ability to identify key themes and use both writing and design/images to clearly communicate complex subjects
- Strong technical abilities and ability to quickly learn and understand new software. DPTV uses the MS Office suite including Outlook, PowerPoint, and SharePoint as well as multiple cloud-based services.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities, with the capacity to inspire and collaborate across teams.
- Demonstrated leadership in driving organizational change and innovation.
- Knowledge of media industry trends, audience engagement strategies, and digital technologies.
- Experience with data analysis and performance measurement techniques, ability to assimilate and analyze data quickly and identify areas for further investigation
- Ability to represent organization and engage productively with funders and stakeholders
- Cross-cultural competence and experience working with diverse people and organizations
- Familiarity with public media preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, nonprofit management or related field
- 5-7 years experience in nonprofit work, fundraising, strategy, or program management.
- Demonstrated experience with strategic planning, SWOT analysis, and business planning
- Management background preferred, particularly in a nonprofit setting
- Experience coaching or mentoring other staff in a professional setting
- Demonstrated understanding of program development and/or program evaluation (for example, previous experience developing a logic model or theory of change, experience developing metrics or Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for a program, or grant management experience)
- Previous experience and subject matter knowledge related to one or more of our pillars, with preference for experience in arts and culture and/or journalism and public affairs.
- Understanding of non-profit fundraising and donor stewardship.
- Demonstrated history of successfully raising funds from philanthropic sources preferred.
Individual must be able to:
- Type, and sit behind a desk for extended periods of time.
- Look at video, computer screens, printed documents.
- Drive on company business.
Individual is exposed to a typical office setting with computer equipment and a TV studio or on-location site with some related business travel.
What You’ll Get:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid in-person and work from home model.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
Posting Date: 8/31/2023
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.