ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most-watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement, and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
We are actively pursuing a dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Promotions Producer. The station offices are in Wixom, MI.
Under the direction of the Marketing Manager, the Promotions Producer is responsible for writing and producing promotional videos that command attention and drive awareness of DPTV programs, services, events, and branding. This role works closely with subject matter experts to turn ideas into compelling scripts, and then works with video editors to turn those scripts into engaging videos for use on broadcast and digital platforms.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain, and inspire through the power of public media.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
- Supervise the overall “look and feel” of DPTV station breaks working with Marketing Manager, VP of Operations and other station departments.
- Write scripts and produce engaging videos for television and digital use in coordination with communications strategies and priorities developed for specific internal and external programs, events, presentations and campaigns.
- Work with a variety of departments to create videos that demonstrate station impact, convey goals and accomplishments for annual reports and stakeholder meetings.
- Research, script, schedule, coordinate, conduct interviews, determine B-roll needs, log footage and edit rough cuts for station promotional videos
- Schedule in studio and field shoots with guests and talent
- Establish a clear storyline and purpose for any video project prior to creation.
- Assist in developing video strategies for traditional and digital platforms to increase brand awareness and engagement.
- Stay up to date on best practices for video production across multiple platforms.
- Push the envelope with creativity while staying true to DPTV’s mission, vision and values.
- Facilitate voiceover work as needed.
- Manage database of video assets and resources.
- Provide production assistance during fundraising drives and in-studio live events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of video production techniques
- Basic knowledge of production set ups
- Basic knowledge of technical equipment
- Do you want something about familiarity with creating video for social platforms?
- Need something about maintaining good relationships with clients/guests
- Ability to manage and influence a crew of peers on a production
- Excellent verbal, written and organizational skills
- Excellent ability to self-prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines at the same time
- Must be self-starter who is easily adaptable, able to work in a team environment and collaborate with different departments
- Receptiveness to feedback
- Experience using Adobe Premiere and Adobe After Effects is a plus
- Experience working with captioning and kinetic typography is a plus
- B.A. in Communications, Television production or equivalent experience
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary
What you will get:
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you would expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It is not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources WTVS Detroit Public Television 1 Clover Court Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 7/16/2021
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.