Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
For more information about PBS Books, please visit the website https://www.pbs.org/show/book-view-now
We are actively seeking dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Producer in Wixom, MI, in a hybrid work structure, working in-office one day a week and remotely for the rest.
The Producer is responsible for managing the production, creative team, crew, script, budget, marketing materials, packaging and deliverables of PBS Books broadcast and digital productions. PBS Books is a national multi-media initiative connecting audiences to authors, books, and educational content, including a library engagement program with nearly 2,000 participating libraries and a network of PBS station partners across the country.
- Produce live and pre-recorded broadcast and digital programs, series, interviews, short-form videos, and virtual events. Responsibilities include:
- Scheduling talent, guests, crew, equipment, and facilities
- Researching video topic and outlining themes and/or questions for interviews
- Determining project b-roll needs
- Creating program rundown
- Timing segments during the production
- Preparing graphics
- Producing roll-in materials
- Editing rough cuts
- Overseeing final program edit
- And other duties essential to the production
- Research project content, write scripts and interview questions, and contribute proposed additions to the database of people interested in the topics and people involved in each project
- Maintain a production calendar and utilize project management software to organize and track project status
- In collaboration with DPTV’s Digital & Marketing team, coordinate promotion needs related to productions including web, on-air, and social media marketing
- Support the development of marketing and social media messaging by providing clear project descriptions and understanding the target audience
- Support the curation of existing video resources into monthly themes, content focal points and PBS tentpole programming
- Maintain strong relationships with clients, partners and internal departments throughout the production window and ensure completion of all project deliverables
- Manage and reconcile project budgets
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; including clear storytelling and script writing
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Effective influence and leadership skills to motivate teams
- Excellent follow up skills
- Excellent ability to self-prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines at the same time
- Solution-oriented under high pressure
- Basic knowledge of production set ups and technical equipment
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Television Production or similar discipline, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience with broadcast and digital productions
- Basic experience with Adobe Premiere preferred
- Ability to work a varied schedule including evenings, weekends, and some holidays
Individual must be able to:
- Type, and sit behind a desk for extended periods of time
- Work in the field under a wide range of climate conditions
- Look at video, computer screens, printed documents
- Drive on company business
Individual is exposed to a typical office setting with computer equipment and a TV studio or on-location site with some related business travel
What You’ll Get:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid in-person and work from home model
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team
Posting Date: 4/20/2023
*No telephone calls or third parties.
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.
Sign up for DPTV eNews
Find out about the new member benefit that lets you watch your favorite shows anytime.