Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: trust, service, achievement, teamwork, respect, creativity and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role Producer, Great Lakes Now in Detroit, MI.
What You’ll Do:
As part of DPTV’s Detroit Bureau team, the Great Lakes Now Show Producer will be the lead producer for the Great Lakes Now show as well as create and assist others in developing visually interesting and interactive content for the on-air programs and news website, and contribute to DPTV’s efforts and other deliverables related to the bureau, its partners, and its mission across a variety of platforms – on air, online and through social media.
- Creation of monthly Great Lakes Now show requires a full-time producer to:
- Work with Program Director to develop show style, themes and segments;
- Research segments for show that may feed/reflect stories on the GLN website;
- Evaluate and edit content submitted from third parties, including video, audio, and other visual and written materials.
- Contribute to development of partner station process for collaborations and segment contributions;
- Manage original and freelancer content;
- Collaborate with the Detroit Bureau for GLN on One Detroit segments;
- Manage the media/footage shot in the field;
- Plan, write, shoot and produce host standups and other video assets;
- Manage voice-over recordings;
- Write show promos and supervise their completion;
- Oversee post-production;
- Coordinate digital work for show;
- Participate in additional audience and station engagement;
- Collaborate across station departments;
- Develop and maintain deep and up-to-date knowledge of Great Lakes issues across multiple U.S. states and Canadian provinces;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong written, oral, video and digital communication skills; including clear storytelling ability and willingness to include multiple platforms for each piece.
- Video production and editing skills and experience.
- Excellent people skills, able to work effectively with other members of a team and other departments as well as with prospects and existing clients.
- Ability to provide and receive constructive criticism to achieve high quality deliverables.
- Ability to manage projects and resources effectively.
- Ability to work independently under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Ability to appropriately contribute creative ideas.
- Excellent organizational ability with strong attention to details.
- Ability to complete tasks within budget and time constraints and prepare necessary reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Video Production, Journalism, Broadcast and Digital Communications, Digital Content Management or related field of study or equivalent experience
- Strong writing and reporting skills as demonstrated on multiple platforms.
- Video production and editing.
- Digital development abilities.
- Ability to work a varied schedule.
- Passion for the Great Lakes and the Great Lakes region.
What you’ll get:
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
Download job description (37.4 KB)
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 11/21/2019