ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement, and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
We are actively pursuing a dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Producer, Great Lakes Now. The station offices are in Detroit, MI.
Through multi-year grants from multiple funders, Detroit Public Television’s Great Lakes initiative provides journalistic content to the Great Lakes Now (GLN) on-air programs, website, and social media portals from partner organizations as well as other DPTV staff and contributors.
As part of DPTV’s Detroit Bureau team, the Great Lakes Now Producer will assist in producing the show as well as creating and assisting others in developing visually interesting and interactive content for the on-air programs, website and social platforms. The GLN Producer also will contribute to DPTV’s efforts and other deliverables related to the GLN initiative, partners, and mission across a variety of platforms and engagement efforts.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain, and inspire through the power of public media.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
The Great Lakes Now initiative requires a full-time producer to
- Work at the direction of the Supervising Producer to develop show segments for the monthly program and additional written and visual content for digital platforms (website, social media, events);
- Manage original and freelance content, media/footage shot in the field, and voice-over recordings using several project management platforms and digital tools, following GLN/DPTV processes;
- Research segments for the show that also may feed/reflect stories on the GLN website;
- Evaluate and edit content submitted from third parties, including video, audio, and other visual and written materials.
- Contribute to development of partner station process for collaborations and segment contributions;
- Collaborate with the Detroit Bureau for GLN on One Detroit segments;
- Help to plan, write, shoot and produce host standups and other video assets;
- Assist with coordinating digital and social media content for show;
- Participate in additional audience and station engagement;
- Collaborate across station departments;
- Develop and maintain deep and up-to-date knowledge of multiple Great Lakes issues across multiple U.S. states and Canadian provinces;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong written, oral, video and digital communication skills; including clear storytelling ability and willingness to include multiple platforms for each piece.
- Video production and/or editing skills and experience for on-air, digital and social media.
- Knowledge of various content and project management platforms and ability to use including Microsoft, Google, AirTable, Teamwork, etc.
- Excellent people skills, able to work effectively with other members of a team and other departments as well as with prospects and existing clients.
- Ability to provide and receive constructive criticism to achieve high quality deliverables.
- Ability to manage projects and resources effectively.
- Ability to work independently under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Ability to appropriately contribute creative ideas.
- Excellent organizational ability with strong attention to details.
- Ability to complete tasks within budget and time constraints and prepare necessary reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Video Production, Journalism, Broadcast and Digital Media or Communications, Digital Content Management or related field of study or equivalent experience.
- Strong non-fiction/tv writing/reporting skills as demonstrated on multiple platforms.
- Video production and ideally some editing.
- Digital development abilities.
- Ability to work a varied schedule.
- Passion for the Great Lakes and the Great Lakes region.
What you will get:
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you would expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It is not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources WTVS Detroit Public Television 1 Clover Court Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 6/3/2021
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.