Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: trust, service, achievement, teamwork, respect, creativity and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Part-Time Technician (IBEW) in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
Due to the project nature of our business, DPTV relies on Part-Time Technicians to support the changing needs of our organization. Part-time Technicians support us in staffing projects, long and short, to ensure we are able to provide the high quality productions that our community has come to know and love. Our flexible scheduling allows Technicians to work for multiple employers at one time. DPTV offers a creative and educational work environment and provides the ability for Technicians to network within the industry and make connections with our many partners. Technicians are eligible to join the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) after 200 hours of employment.
Technicians at DPTV will perform technical assignments, operate variety of television broadcast equipment, and perform equipment maintenance in studio and remote locations.
- Experience working in multiple broadcast positions including but not limited to: Studio and Field Camera Operation, Technical Directing (TD), Audio, Character Generator (CG), Lighting and Editing.
- Ability to work well with others in a fast paced and high pressure environment
- Commitment to quality and continuous improvement
- Ability to work without direct supervision
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art broadcast technology
- 2+ years of relevant college education or 2+ years of work experience
- Experience or familiarity with television broadcast production equipment preferred
- FCC Commercial Radio Operator License or SBE certification preferred
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Available to work varied hours including weekends
What You’ll Get:
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
- Flexible schedule.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television 1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 6/24/2022
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.