ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement, and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
We are actively pursuing a dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Part Time Building Maintenance Technician. The station offices are in Wixom, MI.
The Building Maintenance Technician coordinates the maintenance, safety, and appearance of the facility and grounds of the Riley Broadcast Center. This position is responsible for the professional appearance of the entire facility. This position is also responsible for supporting the shipping, receiving, storage, and mail as needed.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain, and inspire through the power of public media.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
- Facilitate safety, maintenance, and contract vendor negotiation process working closely with vendors and ensuring vendor performance meets expectations
- Coordinate all safety and maintenance inspections using approved vendors; maintain annual schedule of inspections to ensure compliance
- Perform repairs to building, facilities and service equipment; manage facilities needs personally or through vendors including: building grounds, structural components, electrical systems, plumbing, roof, paint, carpentry, maintenance, etc..
- Manage badge access system
- Provide direction to staff in the event of emergency, with support from Human Resources and Senior Management
- Set up rooms and furniture as required for various meetings and events; design and build cubicle structures; maintain spare parts in an organized manner
- Maintain flag pole and flags, raise and lower according to government guidance
- Other duties as assigned
- Support inbound and outbound mail; receive mail delivery and distribute; manage mail postage and pickup and control postage meter
- Coordinate shipments and provide delivery dates as needed; coordinate product flow and storage if required
- Maintain an organized and efficient warehouse space
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Good problem solving and negotiation skills
- 2+ years of experience in shipping, receiving, or warehouse operations
- 2+ years of experience in facilities operations
- Proficient in computer software programs including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, etc..
- Ability to operate various types of industrial forklift and hand-powered trucks or equipment safely
- Flexibility to meet sudden and unpredictable operational needs
What you will get:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It is not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources WTVS Detroit Public Television 1 Clover Court Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 6/1/2021
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.