Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the non-commercial, viewer-supported PBS-member station watched by more than 1.5 million people in Detroit and Southeast Michigan and another 1.2 million people throughout Canada. Our vision is for a community in which people trust public media to help them discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
DPTV offers 24 hours of PBS Kids programs each weekday, along with other favorite local and national programming and news shows, such as PBS Newshour. The station is notably active in the community producing local programs that showcase arts, culture, and news analysis using the power of media to provide knowledge and understanding.
DPTV, a 501(c) 3 organization licensed to the Detroit Educational Television Foundation and governed by a volunteer board of trustees from the local business, civic, and cultural communities also manages WRCJ 90.9 FM, Detroit’s classical and jazz radio station, located in the Detroit School of Arts.
In addition to the main channel 56.1, the station also operates Detroit PBS Kids Channel, 56.2; CREATE 56.3 and The WORLD channel 56.4.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Production Intern in Detroit, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The Production Intern will support the Detroit Bureau staff in all phases of a project: pre-production, production, post-production and social media engagement. Interns will get practical and realistic experience as a production assistant.
- Perform research regarding production related content, logistics and locations.
- Book guests to include talent for productions and occasionally audience members for live taping.
- Go on location field shoots (Electronic Field Production) to provide production assistance to Producer and Field Directors related to location, media storage logging and labeling.
- Log and organize media, create proxies, and prep footage for archiving.
- Write scripts for local productions, promotional announcements, online and social media.
- Assist in producing social media and blog posts.
- Observe edit sessions with opportunities to produce and learn editing techniques.
- Assist in event facilitation including: audience and guest reception, venue relations and ticketing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent oral, written, and organizational skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Premiere Pro and Media Encoder
- Excellent online research skills
- General sense of administrative management
- Familiarity with television production preferred
- Enrollment in a university or vocational tech training program or recent graduate
- Pursuing broadcasting, film, video production, telecommunications, communications/journalism, or business/marketing degree preferred
- Ability and willingness to work approximately 20 hours per week, minimum 3 day
What You’ll Get:
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
At the conclusion of the internship, the intern will be able to:
- Media manage
- Gain familiarity with editing process/video prost production
- Understand video formats for television, online and mobile platforms
- Conceptualize, research, and pre-production of programs
- Prepare studio production materials including: rundowns, scripts, and equipment requirements
- Prepare promotional/community outreach elements
Intern applicants must be currently enrolled at a college or university, or have recently (within past 6 months) graduated with a relevant degree. The internship program is unpaid and focused on education and training.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 7/26/2019