One Detroit Journalism and Video Production Intern
Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of One Detroit Journalism and Video Production Intern in Detroit, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The One Detroit Intern will support the Detroit Bureau staff, based at the Marygrove Conservancy, in all phases of our projects, which include: producing our two weekly episodes, daily social media content, content creation for our website, and regular online engagement events. Interns will get practical and realistic production and video journalism experience assisting One Detroit’s producer team.
One Detroit is Detroit Public TV’s award-winning local news initiative, which has created a national model for community-based television journalism, which seeks to tell the authentic story of Detroit and Southeast Michigan through ongoing engagement and in-depth reporting.
- Attend weekly department meetings, listen, and offer content suggestions for both weekly episodes. Work with the One Detroit producer team and internship supervisor to develop story ideas for semester project.
- Perform research regarding production related content, logistics and locations.
- Go on location field shoots (Electronic Field Production) to provide production assistance to One Detroit producers
- Transcribe interviews for producers and the website, OneDetroitPBS.org
- Assist Digital Content Coordinator in producing social media and blog posts for featured stories on our website
- Observe One Detroit show edit sessions with opportunities to produce and learn editing techniques
- Other duties as assigned
Excellent oral, written, and organizational skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Premiere Pro and Media Encoder
- Excellent online research skills
- General sense of administrative management
- Familiarity with television production preferred
- Enrollment in a university or vocational tech training program or recent graduate
- Pursuing broadcasting, film, video production, telecommunications, communications/journalism, or business/marketing degree preferred
- Ability and willingness to work approximately 20 hours per week, minimum 3 day
What You’ll Get:
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community
- Great work environment
At the conclusion of the internship, the intern will be able to:
- Media manage
- Gain familiarity with editing process/video prost production
- Understand video formats for television, online and mobile platforms
- Conceptualize, research, and pre-production of programs
- Prepare studio production materials including: rundowns, scripts, and equipment requirements
- Prepare promotional elements
Intern applicants must be currently enrolled at a college or university, or have recently (within past 6 months) graduated with a relevant degree. The internship program is unpaid and focused on education and training.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Post Date: 4/7/2023
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.
Sign up for DPTV eNews
Find out about the new member benefit that lets you watch your favorite shows anytime.