News Director, Great Lakes Now
Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
We are actively seeking dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of News Director, GLN in Detroit, MI, in a hybrid work structure, working in-office one day a week and remotely for the rest.
Through multi-year grants from multiple funders, Detroit Public Television’s Great Lakes initiative provides daily content to the Great Lakes Now (GLN) website and social media platforms from partner organizations as well as other original content produced by DPTV.
The GLN News Director will oversee, maintain, edit, write, report, and produce content for the website, and contribute to content planning and production across broadcast and social media platforms.
- Maintain a deep and up-to-date knowledge of Great Lakes issues across multiple U.S. states and Canadian provinces
- Editing including coordinating, monitoring, and recording daily content from GreatLakesNow.org contributors
- Research, write and publish to the web
- Assess contributor pitches and prioritize publication
- Set Content Priorities in collaboration with the GLN Program Director
- Coordinate Content with Supervising Producer for Great Lakes Now broadcast
- Lead on National PBS opportunities. Lead on identifying and coordinating opportunities for Great Lakes Now to utilize national PBS programs to further its content mission through localized reporting and engagement efforts
- Assist GLN Program Director and Line Producer in coordinating video content and the video producers for Great Lakes Now broadcast program.
- Oversee Website and Social Media Content Creation
- Recruit New Contract Reporters
- Maintain and grow a Great Lakes “beat” of trusted sources to inform daily content.
- Support and coordinate social media and marketing of GLN and its products within DPTV and among participating stations.
- Track contract requirements on digital platforms
- Oversee Contract Administration
- Coordinate with Strategic Business Plan team to develop and implement content plans and business plans
- Assist Program Director with Budget Narrative
- Mentor and grow Associate Editor
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong oral and written communication skills; including clear storytelling skills
- Excellent people skills, able to influence team members and other departments as well as contractors and existing
- Ability to provide and receive constructive criticism to achieve high quality deliverables
- Ability to manage projects and resources effectively
- Ability to work independently under pressure with minimal supervision
- Ability to appropriately contribute creative ideas
- Excellent organizational ability with strong attention to details
- Ability to complete tasks within budget and time constraints and prepare necessary reports
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Broadcast, Journalism, or related field of study or equivalent experience
- Strong writing and reporting skills as demonstrated on multiple platforms.
- Digital abilities or willingness to learn
- Ability to work a varied schedule
- Passion for the Great Lakes and the Great Lakes region
- Ability to travel locally, regionally and internationally (to Canada)
Individual is exposed to a typical office setting with computer equipment and a TV studio or on-location site with some related business travel.
What You’ll Get:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid in-person and work from home model
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television 1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 1/20/2023
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.