Michigan Learning Channel Youth-Facing Social Media Intern
Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Social Media Intern – Michigan Learning Channel in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
Youth-Facing Social Media intern will work closely with the MLC Youth-Led Media Producer and the MLC Program Director to support brand awareness and statewide community building via social media, which includes writing, strategic planning, research and creation of digital assets, and community building alongside a teen and tween audience. The MLC team will work with the successful candidate to develop an internship program that meets the needs of DPTV and the interests, skills and career aspirations of the individual.
- Collaborate to develop a youth-centered social media strategy
- Write and create accurate, engaging, and relevant posts and stories for a teen and tween audience on social media (with a focus on Instagram and TikTok) that help to showcase youth- led work within MLC
- Leverage social media platforms to maintain follower engagement and cultivate trust by commenting, responding, sharing, and liking posts that align with youth-led MLC initiatives
- Connect with young people and youth-led organizations across the state in order to incorporate diverse perspectives into communications and social posts
- Maintain awareness of current trends and topics in education and popular culture, as well as relevant issues important to young people, to drive engagement strategy
- Collaborate on editing videos, graphics, and stories for digital use
- Microsoft Office skills required, including Excel
- Knowledge of and fluency in social media, especially Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Must be currently enrolled in 4-year university
- Pursuing degree in marketing, communications, youth organizing, social media strategy, education, or other related field
- Interest/passion for education and youth-led content creation preferred
- Experience working directly with young people preferred
- Experience with social media content creation, especially Instagram posts, Instagram stories, andTikTok
- Able to work 12-20 hours per week for a maximum of 1 semester, or 16 weeks
What You’ll Get:
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community
- Great work environment
- Opportunities to generate relevant work in an exciting industry for your portfolio
At the conclusion of the internship, the intern will be able to:
- Understand key functions and operations of communications within an educational media organization, including the role of youth-facing social media in marketing and relationship building
- Craft a social media plan for promotion of programming, events or other initiatives of an educational media organization
- Identify and apply best practices in various communications applications, including promotions, marketing, production and social media
- Write engaging promotional, explanatory and journalistic copy
- Learn about the role of broadcast media, particularly public media, in educating and engaging viewers
- Understand and use effective research and marketing techniques
Intern applicants must be currently enrolled at a college or university, or have recently (within past 6 months) graduated with a relevant degree. The internship program is unpaid and focused on education and training.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 8/18/2022
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.