Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
We are actively seeking dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Marketing Generalist in Farmington, MI, in a hybrid work structure.
The role offers a great opportunity to gain exposure to multiple content areas, audiences and platforms!
The Marketing and Digital team works across the station on local initiatives (One Detroit, American Black Journal, 90.9 WRCJ), state/regional initiatives (Michigan Learning Channel, Great Lakes Now) and national (PBS programming, PBS Books, PBS Books Readers’ Club). The team works across different platforms which include the website, social platforms, YouTube, Apps, Radio, Television and paid advertising vendors.
The Marketing Generalist will report to the Director of Marketing.
- Create, coordinate, and deploy multi-channel digital campaigns with the goal of building audience and driving impact for company initiatives, events, programs, and productions
- Serve as an internal “expert” on PBS marketing and programming updates through attending webinars, reading newsletters and visiting various resource websites operated by PBS
- Attend and capture notes/tasks from internal meetings with various initiatives (Michigan Learning Channel, Great Lakes Now, One Detroit, American Black Journal, PBS Kids, PBS Books)
- Support the execution of marketing plans for the organization through project management techniques and EOS best practices including but not limited to the management of a workflow tool like Teamwork or other
- Develop and create graphics and marketing materials using Canva with the oversight and guidance of the Senior Art Designer
- Assist in the placement of paid media on META and Google platforms and others (evergreen and program specific campaigns)
- Monitor and optimize paid campaigns and work with Data Analysts on reporting
- Assist in the placement of occasional Print and Out of Home
- Knowledge and understanding of popular social media and marketing platforms
- Familiarity and competence with Microsoft Office, project management software, data visualization tools, META Reporting and Insights, Google Ads, and Canva
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to set and meet deadlines and to work irregular and extended hours when required
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, Marketing, or Broadcast or Multimedia Media, or related subject matter field required
- 2+ years of communications, marketing, brand management or related experience
Individual must be able to:
- Type, and sit behind a desk for extended periods of time
- Look at video, computer screens, printed documents
Individual is exposed to a typical office setting with computer equipment and a TV studio or on-location site with some related business travel.
What You’ll Get:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid in-person and work from home model
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team
Posting Date: 9/11/2023
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.