Managing Editor, Journalism
Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
We are actively seeking dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Managing Editor, Journalism in Detroit, MI, in a hybrid work structure, working in-office one day a week and remotely for the rest.
DPTV has become a major force in regional journalism, with bureaus for One Detroit and Great Lakes Now. As Michigan’s only community-licensed PBS station, DPTV is uniquely positioned to cultivate regional unity through local programming and events. DPTV is committed to engaging with diverse audiences through broadcast television, radio, social media, and streaming to deliver content and facilitate engagement on multiple platforms. Community Engagement is at the core of DPTV’s strategy, to become the leading journalism and community engagement hub in Southeast Michigan, working with a wide range of partners.
This position has been established to build on achievements to date across DPTV’s journalism initiative, One Detroit. This includes overseeing the day-to-day operations of video journalism for broadcast and digital platforms as well as supporting and contributing to American Black Journal.
- Maintain an editorial calendar and content coverage priorities for One Detroit and American Black Journal
- Deepen relationships with key community partners and develop new partnerships to feed into our content priorities
- Oversee broadcast rundowns and digitally based content
- Take a leading role to plan and execute special event coverage
- Lead on website presentation and social media priorities
- Track budget and assist VP of Content with annual budget narrative
- Maintain our relationship with media partners through collaboration and amplifying their content on DPTV platforms
- Make assignments to the production team, overseeing reporting, writing, video selection, and editing
- Manage One Detroit/ABJ content teams giving constructive feedback to help develop their journalism and video storytelling skills
- Collaborate with the Vice President of Content to conceive, plan, and execute new projects
- Consult with the Vice President of Content to develop new content partnerships
- Recruit, hire, coach, and evaluate contractors, reporting fellows, and interns to extend the work
- Identify and groom talent, including student reporters, interns, reporting fellows, or community filmmakers or storytellers who can develop content for One Detroit or American Black Journal
- Monitor PBS Newshour, Frontline, and other national PBS journalism efforts, seizing opportunities to engage their content locally with key audiences
- Keep Development Team up to date with new initiatives and upcoming content focal points
- Make presentations at conferences, journalism events or awards ceremonies
- Strong journalistic, organization, and writing and speaking skills; including clear storytelling, planning and pro- active communication
- Excellent people skills, able to work effectively with other members of a team and other departments as well as with prospects and existing clients
- Ability to provide and receive constructive criticism to achieve high quality deliverables
- Ability to manage projects and resources effectively
- Ability to work independently under pressure with minimal supervision
- Ability to appropriately contribute creative ideas
- Excellent organizational ability with strong attention to details
- Ability to complete tasks within budget and time constraints and prepare necessary reports
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field of study or equivalent experience
- Strong writing and reporting skills as demonstrated on multiple platforms
- Experience in a television newsroom working with tight deadlines
- Previous demonstrated management experience
- Ability to work a varied schedule
- Ability to travel locally
- Passion for and knowledge of Detroit and the surrounding metro area
Individual must be able to:
- Type, and sit behind a desk for extended periods of time
- Work in the field under a wide range of climate conditions
- Look at video, computer screens, printed documents
- Drive on company business
- Individual is exposed to a typical office setting with computer equipment and a TV studio or on-location site with some related business travel.
- Occasionally will be required to be on-location within the Detroit metro area
What You’ll Get:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid in-person and work from home model
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team
Posting Date: 7/21/2023
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.