Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement, and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain, and inspire through the power of public media.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
We are actively pursuing a dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Manager, Marketing in Wixom, MI.
The Manager, Marketing will lead the strategic planning of the marketing function, directing the team and resources in order to build brand awareness across all platforms. This role will create innovative marketing initiatives with measurable goals and objectives to support brand awareness and audience growth.
- Develop strategic and annual marketing and engagement plans for DPTV programming, initiatives, and membership including:
- Developing cross-channel marketing plans to effectively use a mix of on-air time, the membership guide, newsletters, social media and additional station-owned platforms
- Maintaining communications and brand standards for all internal and external marketing messages
- Planning promotional activity to amplify national membership development campaigns, local donor challenges, local pledge drives, etc.
- Presenting opportunities to leverage national programming to support and expand local engagement
- Collaborating with initiative leaders to create and/or promote programs and events to drive audience growth and community engagement
- Creating unique value propositions for the station and its initiatives, and ensuring the messaging is consistent across all brand communications
- Research and negotiate potential trade ad opportunities to partner with other advertising and media outlets throughout Metro Detroit and the state of Michigan
- Research, negotiate and plan paid ad opportunities
Maintain paid advertising budget and keep record of promotional spends
- Analyze and report on overall cross-channel marketing performance for the station and each of its initiatives on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Manage development of key station publications including, but not limited to annual reports and local content service reports
- Review and understand the latest best practices for marketing and promotion by participating in monthly meetings with marketers from other PBS stations and subscribing to both industry, and PBS publications
- Support organization and team through project management techniques and EOS best practices including but not limited to the management of a workflow tool like Teamwork or other.
- Clearly delegate tasks and follow up on status of open projects through completion
- Oversee development of promotional videos for on-air and digital use
- Oversee graphic design
- Oversee planning and engagement activity for in-person and virtual events
- Help enhance the DPTV and WRCJ brands, build their image in the community and promote and amplify their content
Support website content creation that is optimized for search engine optimization (SEO).
- Other duties as assigned
- Strategic and data driven mindset
- Experience with search engine optimization (SEO) concepts
- Experience with analytic tools and presenting data
- Experience managing a team of staff members and independent contractors
- Creative, innovative and thoughtful approaches to assignments
- Knowledge and understanding of popular social media and marketing platforms
- Ability to set and meet deadlines and to work irregular and extended hours when required
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Excellent eye for design
- Experience with Photoshop
- Familiarity with and interest in topics of importance to the Detroit Public Television community, including arts and culture, education, journalism, and the environment
- Knowledge of and adherence to tenets of accuracy, fairness and ethical standards of communications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, or Broadcast Media, or related subject matter field required
- 8+ years of communications, public relation, marketing or related experience
What you’ll get:
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 9/9/2021
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.