Major Gifts Officer
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
We are actively seeking dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Major Gifts Officer in Wixom, MI.
The Major Gifts Officer at Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ is responsible for raising funds from major and leadership donors ($1,000+) to support the organization’s mission and operations. While the position is intended to be primarily an external facing, relationship-based position with DPTV/WRCJ’s donors, the Major Gifts Officer will also need to build lasting and cooperative relationships with internal colleagues across departments.
- Develop relationships with a portfolio of approximately 150-200 major donors, including existing and newly developed donors.
- Work with Director Philanthropic Giving to qualify and tier donors in portfolio on regular basis and as new donors self-identify.
- Develop individual, monthly cash-flowed plans for each donor in the MGO’s portfolio, utilizing the Moves Management process and internal resources (staff, board, programming, marketing, etc.) as appropriate to grow donors over time.
- Participate by learning about programming and obtaining needed information from the organization to connect donors to mission.
- Work closely with members of the Major Giving Team to determine 3-6 month new major donor candidate pool.
- Achieve annual fundraising goal and assisting in meeting unit goals; Performance and productivity will be
measured on the following core metrics as determined annually:
- Dollars raised for annual gifts
- Number of Major Gift solicitations
- Number of Major Gifts closed
- Number of meaningful contacts each month
- Document and record all activities in Salesforce CRM.
- Demonstrate a passion for the importance, urgency, exclusivity, and power of public media to improve lives, and a desire to work in a trusted organization that serves the educational, cultural, and informational needs of the community.
- Proven track record of successfully soliciting and closing philanthropic gifts.
- Other duties as assigned
- Accomplished fundraiser with a demonstrated ability to present the strategic direction and the importance of the institution to the community
- Strong knowledge of the programming and community priorities of Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ preferred
- Excellent research, written, spoken, social media, and presentational skills
- Ability to work collegially with others in the organization
- Bachelor’s degree in Philanthropy, Business, Communications, or related field of study or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in Development including:
- Extensive use of fundraising database software to capture donor information, research donor history/interests, and generate actionable lists; knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- 2+ years of experience writing fundraising proposals or grant applications
Must be able to work a flexible schedule as needed to attend station and community events, pledge nights, as well as donor breakfasts, dinners, etc.
Individual is exposed to a remote office setting with computer equipment as well as meeting in 1:1 setting.
What you’ll get:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid in-person and work from home model.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television 1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 8/17/2022
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.