Major Gifts Officer
Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
We are actively seeking dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Major Gifts Officer in Wixom, MI.
The Major Gifts Officer at Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ is responsible for raising funds from philanthropic donors to support the organization’s mission and operations. Bringing an authentic, donor-centric mindset to the table, the Major Gifts Officer will represent the values, programming and impact of public media in a thriving urban region.
The position will report to the Director of Philanthropic Giving and will work very closely with core team members across the organization. While the position is intended to be primarily an external facing position with DPTV/WRCJ’s donors, the Major Gifts Officer will also need to build lasting and cooperative relationships with internal colleagues across departments. This position is full-time, exempt and benefits eligible.
- Demonstrate a passion for the importance, urgency, exclusivity, and power of public media to improve lives, and a desire to work in a trusted organization that serves the educational, cultural, and informational needs of the community.
- Ability to speak proficiently on varied content and program streams, including education, the environment, local and national journalism, performing arts and the media.
- Develop meaningful relationships with a pre-existing portfolio of approximately 150-200 donors who meet the financial threshold for philanthropic giving at our organization.
- Work with Director Philanthropic Giving to qualify donors and develop individual cash-flowed plans for each donor based on industry standard Moves Management System.
- Participate by learning about programming and obtaining needed information from the organization to connect donors to mission.
- Achieve annual fundraising goal and assisting in meeting unit goals; Performance and productivity will be measured on the following core metrics as determined annually:
- Dollars raised from existing portfolio
- Number of solicitations
- Number of meaningful contacts each month
- Document and record all activities in CRM.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven track record of successfully soliciting and closing philanthropic gifts.
- Ability to present the strategic direction and the importance of the institution to the community at large and to
each unique donor personally.
- Strong knowledge of the programming and community priorities of Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ
- Excellent research, written, spoken, social media, and presentational skills
- Ability to work collegially with others in the organization
- Bachelor degree in Philanthropy, Business, Communications, or related field of study or equivalent experience
- Professional experience in Development including:
- Qualification of individual donors for philanthropic fundraising
- 1:1 donor relationship building
- Extensive use of fundraising database software to capture donor information, research donor history/interests, and generate actionable lists; knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- 2+ years of experience writing fundraising proposals
Must be able to work a flexible schedule as needed to attend station and community events, pledge nights, as well as donor breakfasts, dinners, etc.
Individual is exposed to a remote office setting with computer equipment as well as meeting in 1:1 setting.
What You’ll Get:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid in-person and work from home model.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
Posting Date: 5/1/2023
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.
Sign up for DPTV eNews
Find out about the new member benefit that lets you watch your favorite shows anytime.