ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement, and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
We are actively pursuing a dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Director, Digital Marketing. The station offices are in Wixom, MI.
The Director, Digital & Marketing will lead the Digital and Marketing team and is responsible for developing and implementing DPTV’s strategic marketing plans; brand identity and alignment; social media and digital platform strategy; and implementing a data focused decision-making strategy across all platforms at DPTV.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain, and inspire through the power of public media.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
- Aligned with DPTV’s strategic plan, research, strategize, present, and execute a vision for how to use new and existing digital platforms to grow audience, membership, and community engagement
- Serve as a proactive thought-partner to DPTV initiative owners, leadership, and stakeholders and communicate organizational priorities in the areas of brand and marketing
- Develop and oversee DPTV’s brand identity and strategy and implement it across all platforms, aligned with PBS brand requirements, including broadcast, digital, and print
- Oversee the development, design, and management of content on DPTV’s digital platforms with internal teams and vendors, working with both to set timelines and deadlines
- Implement a process for curating, organizing, and displaying digital content in order to improve user experience and grow audience
- Establish a system for tracking and scheduling DPTV marketing priorities and communicate the plan to the entire organization
- Create a data driven decision making culture through the implementation of scorecards, KPIs, and data story telling and effectively communicate that data with initiative and station leadership in order to support changes in content, strategy, and/or other areas to maintain and grow new audiences
- Be a proactive partner to colleagues who regularly brings ideas rooted in best practices to DPTV initiatives
- Oversee the digital marketing strategy, including paid search, social media advertising, email marketing, and other paid and organic campaigns
- Monitor compliance with company policy and procedure for copyright infringement
- Ensure all DPTV web properties meet accessibility requirements
- Oversee DPTV’s event strategy
- Manage department budget
- Other duties as assigned
- Strategic and data driven mindset that thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Supervisory experience and proven ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize competing demands between departments in a large organization
- Understanding of popular social media, marketing platforms, and mobile and OTT apps
- Exhibits a passion for staying up to date on latest technology and best practices that keeps DPTV’s platforms and strategies relevant
- Demonstrates excellent presentation skills and thrives in group settings and presentations
- Experience with Google Analytics plus the ability to make data driven decisions based on those analytics
- Experience using data visualization tools
- Familiarity with WordPress and other content management systems
- Experience with search engine optimization (SEO) concepts
- Experience with video distribution and engagement best practices
- Knowledge of email marketing strategy and best practices
- Familiarity with leading or implementing an organizational rebrand
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Ability to set and meet deadlines and to work irregular and extended hours when required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or related subject matter field required
- 10+ years of experience in digital marketing, platform management, and brand strategy
- 5+ years of supervisory experience
What you will get:
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you would expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It is not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources WTVS Detroit Public Television 1 Clover Court Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 7/19/2021
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.