ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement, and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
We are actively pursuing a dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Digital Content Coordinator, Journalism. The station offices are in Wixom and Detroit, MI.
As a part of the One Detroit team at Detroit Public TV, the Digital Content Coordinator for Journalism is primarily responsible for supporting the One Detroit and American Black Journal (ABJ) websites, social media presence, newsletters, and helping to grow One Detroit’s and ABJ’s digital audience. Tasks include knowledge of web page development, writing for digital communications including newsletters and social media, and video production experience.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain, and inspire through the power of public media.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
- Support the One Detroit & ABJ’s website: o Manage day-to-day content updates by adding pages via the Content Management System (CMS) – WordPress and through updates in HTML and CSS;
- Develop popups for events, new features;
- Add weekly content to video player playlists;
- Regularly support the site with accessibility reviews;
- Support schedule updates.
- Optimize website for search engine optimization through title, description, and other meta data development.
- Support social media content development for all of One Detroit’s and ABJ’s channels. Including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Support live events on social media including creating the event, managing guests and hosts, drafting rundowns and scripts, and preparing roll in content.
- Support email communications for One Detroit and American Black Journal.
- Develop graphics for digital marketing of One Detroit and American Black Journal.
- Create promotional toolkits for partners and stakeholders.
- Produce and edit platform specific content.
- Analyze data using Google Analytics; manipulate data in Excel, and organize large amounts of information into meaningful charts and presentations.
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to work effectively with people across all lines of the Company
- Knowledge of website page development including use of HTML and CSS.
- Experience with the WordPress content management system.
- Experience with third party plugins for WordPress.
- Experience writing copy for digital marketing.
- Experience with Adobe Suite including Premiere Pro and Photoshop.
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite and Google Docs especially spreadsheets.
- Ability to set and meet deadlines, work irregular and extended hours.
- Attention to detail very important.
- Certification, Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Digital Communications, Journalism, or related field of study or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of work-related experience
What you will get:
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you would expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It is not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources WTVS Detroit Public Television 1 Clover Court Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 6/4/2021
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.