Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the non-commercial, viewer-supported PBS-member station watched by more than 1.5 million people in Detroit and Southeast Michigan and another 1.2 million people throughout Canada. Our vision is for a community in which people trust public media to help them discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
DPTV offers 24 hours of PBS Kids programs each weekday, along with other favorite local and national programming and news shows, such as PBS Newshour. The station is notably active in the community producing local programs that showcase arts, culture, and news analysis using the power of media to provide knowledge and understanding.
DPTV, a 501(c) 3 organization licensed to the Detroit Educational Television Foundation and governed by a volunteer board of trustees from the local business, civic, and cultural communities also manages WRCJ 90.9 FM, Detroit’s classical and jazz radio station, located in the Detroit School of Arts.
In addition to the main channel 56.1, the station also operates Detroit PBS Kids Channel, 56.2; CREATE 56.3 and The WORLD channel 56.4.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Communications Intern in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
Communications intern will work closely with the Communications department to support the marketing and promotion of various productions, events and initiatives via social media, public and media relations, as well as various writing and other engagement tools. Communications department will work the successful candidate to develop an internship program that meets the needs of DPTV and the interests, skills and career aspirations of the individual.
- Write accurate, engaging, well-research copy for various DPTV platforms – including print, broadcast, online and social media.
- Compile databases of various interest groups in order to maximize reach and expand audience
- Conduct research assignments, as needed by the department
- Collaborate on editing promotional videos for broadcast and digital use
- Write marketing copy for Signal magazine, brochures and various collateral material
- Disseminate promotional and other information to media outlets
- Write social media posts that engage and expand DPTV audience
- Identify best practices by researching trends across local and national public media outlets.
- Other duties as assigned
At the conclusion of the internship, the intern will be able to:
- Understand the functions and operations of the communications department of a media property
- Craft a promotional plan for programming, events or other initiatives of a television/radio station
- Identify and apply best practices in various communications applications, including promotions, marketing, production and social media
- Write engaging promotional, explanatory and journalistic copy
- Learn about the role of broadcast media, particularly public media, in educating and engaging viewers
- Understand and use effective research and marketing techniques
- Basic Microsoft Office skills required, including Excel
- Must be currently enrolled in 4-year university, sophomore or higher status preferred
- Pursuing business/marketing or communications/journalism degree
- Able to work 12-20 hours per week for a maximum of 1 semester, or 16 weeks
What You’ll Get:
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
Intern applicants must be currently enrolled at a college or university, or have recently (within past 6 months) graduated with a relevant degree. The internship program is unpaid and focused on education and training.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 7/26/2019