Program Director, Michigan Learning Channel
ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement, and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain, and inspire through the power of public media.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
This career opportunity will be part of the Michigan Learning Channel team. Focused on a 24/7 educational channel providing standards-aligned instructional content from PreK-12th Grade students and teachers. The Channel airs on all six public television stations in Michigan plus one in Indiana. Content for the channel is developed in collaboration with educational partners and is also hosted on MichiganLearning.org for on-demand and classroom use.
The role we are actively recruiting for is a Program Director, Michigan Learning Channel position located in Wixom, MI.
The Michigan Learning Channel Program Director is responsible for overseeing the operations and ongoing execution of the Michigan Learning Channel and the teams responsible for delivering the service on-air, online, and through deep community engagement.
Primary responsibilities include ensuring the channel has an adequate, ongoing supply of relevant broadcast material; distribution of programming content and related materials across multiple platforms; and developing and maintaining key partnerships throughout the state of Michigan requiring a daily connection of content to and from our partners and key stakeholders.
This position also oversees the collection of data needed to create quantitative and qualitative measurements of progress according to the vision of the Michigan Learning Channel.
The Program Director will collaborate with the Director, Strategic Initiatives Planning and the Senior Vice President Strategy and Community Engagement on long-term strategy, short-term tactics, as well as assisting with funding leads. The Program Director has budget tracking responsibilities for the Michigan Learning Channel.
- Develop and build a multi-platform content strategy to support Michigan’s educational goals through public media.
- Assist the Programming Specialist with sourcing and reviewing content for use on the channel
- Work directly with the Producer, Michigan Learning Channel and with educational experts on curriculum and instructional television production development.
- Ensure the quality of content across multiple platforms that aligns with the goals and strategy of the MLC.
- Oversee creation and distribution of curriculum-based content.
- Ensure compliance with established policies for content and underwriting
- Support relationships that lead to sustainability with education leaders, association personnel, educators, and elected leaders.
- Oversee an actively growing partner database.
- Oversee the strategy that drives the daily dialogue with the education community
- Maintain a deep, current knowledge of Michigan curriculum.
- Facilitate communication and collaboration across the MLC team; including freelance relationships and relationships with other public media stations.
- Plan and oversee execution of engagement opportunities including meetings, workshops, town halls, and other activities designed to grow audience within the education community.
- Oversee the uptake and usability of the Channel.
- Represent the MLC in professional meetings and with stakeholders across Michigan and within the national PBS community at large.
- Work with the marketing and engagement teams to increase the use of the MLC and its products.
Development & Reporting
- Work with the Development team to identify and pursue project funding.
- Define and track evaluation metrics and measures of impact as outlined in grant commitments.
- Work with the Foundations team to prepare periodic grant updates and reports.
- Prepare annual report to legislators
- Manage overall Michigan Learning Channel budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Understanding of K-12 educational system and how to support teachers and families to advance student learning
- Strong oral and written communication skills; including the ability to draw stories from data and anecdotal sources
- Excellent people skills, able to work effectively with other members of a team and other departments as well as with prospects and existing stakeholders
- Ability to provide constructive criticism to contributors and volunteers to achieve high quality deliverables
- Ability to manage projects and resources effectively
- Ability to contribute and develop creative ideas
- Excellent organizational ability with strong attention to details
- Ability to complete tasks within budget and time constraints and prepare necessary reports
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, or related field of study
- Experience working with young people in an educational setting
- Evidence of leadership, project management, and administrative experience
- 5+ years of experience writing in a professional capacity
- Experience working at an agency that receives state funding a plus
- Experience in curriculum development or instructional design a plus
- Grant and foundation experience a plus
- Ability to work a varied schedule
- Passion for Education
- Ability to travel statewide and nationally. Occasional overnight travel likely.
Individual must be able to:
- Type, and sit behind a desk for extended periods of time
Type, and sit behind a desk for extended periods of time
Look at video, computer screens, printed documents
Drive on company business
Individual is exposed to a typical office setting with computer equipment and a TV studio or on-location site with some related business travel.
What you’ll get:
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources WTVS Detroit Public Television 1 Clover Court Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 12/20/2021
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.