Social Media Internship
Detroit Public Television (DPTV) is the non-commercial, viewer-supported PBS-member station watched by more than 1.5 million people in Detroit and Southeast Michigan and another 1.2 million people throughout Canada. Our vision is for a community in which people trust public media to help them discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
DPTV offers 24 hours of PBS Kids programs each weekday, along with other favorite local and national programming and news shows, such as PBS Newshour. The station is notably active in the community producing local programs that showcase arts, culture, and news analysis using the power of media to provide knowledge and understanding.
DPTV, a 501(c) 3 organization licensed to the Detroit Educational Television Foundation and governed by a volunteer board of trustees from the local business, civic, and cultural communities also manages WRCJ 90.9 FM, Detroit's classical and jazz radio station, located in the Detroit School of Arts.
In addition to the main channel 56.1, the station also operates Detroit PBS Kids Channel, 56.2; CREATE 56.3 and The WORLD channel 56.4.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Social Media Intern in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
Social Media intern will work closely with the Communications department to support the promotion of various productions, events and initiatives via social media, which includes writing, strategic planning, research and creation of digital assets. Communications department will work with the successful candidate to develop an internship program that meets the needs of DPTV and the interests, skills and career aspirations of the individual.
- Write accurate, engaging, well-researched copy for various DPTV social media platforms – including primarily Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Compile databases of various interest groups in order to maximize reach and expand audience.
- Conduct research assignments, as needed by the department.
- Collaborate on editing promotional videos for digital use.
- Write social media posts that engage and expand DPTV audience.
- Participate in brainstorm meetings for social media, which may include specific assignments to plan or contribute to planning of social media campaigns and/or tactics.
- Identify best practices by researching trends across local and national public media outlets.
- Other duties as assigned.
At the conclusion of the internship, the intern will be able to:
- Understand key functions and operations of the communications department of a media property and the social media activities of its various brands
- Craft a social media plan for promotion of programming, events or other initiatives of a television/radio station
- Identify and apply best practices in various communications applications, including promotions, marketing, production and social media
- Write engaging promotional, explanatory and journalistic copy
- Learn about the role of broadcast media, particularly public media, in educating and engaging viewers
- Understand and use effective research and marketing techniques
- Basic Microsoft Office skills required, including Excel.
- Basic knowledge of and fluency in social media, especially Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Must be currently enrolled in 4-year university, sophomore or higher status preferred
- Pursuing business/marketing or communications/journalism degree
- Able to work 12-20 hours per week for a maximum of 1 semester, or 16 weeks
What You’ll Get:
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
- Opportunities to generate relevant work in an exciting industry for your portfolio.
Intern applicants must be currently enrolled at a college or university, or have recently (within past 6 months) graduated with a relevant degree. The internship program is unpaid and focused on education and training.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 7/26/2019
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ FM 90.9, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusi