Video Production Intern
Detroit Public Television is looking for a Video Production Intern to join our team.
Video Production Intern, unpaid
Job ID: Intern (UNPAID)
No phone calls or third parties please. Include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
The Video Production Intern reports to the Manager of Production, and is mentored by unit staff. The Video Production Intern will support Producers and Studio Directors in all phases of a project: pre-production, production, and post-production. Interns will get practical and realistic experience as a production assistant.
- Prepare production communication including: rundowns, teleprompter copy, focus sheets.
- Perform research regarding production related content, logistics and locations.
- Book guests to include talent for productions and occasionally audience member for live taping.
- Assist Studio Director in timing productions and cueing talent.
- Go on location field shoots (Electronic Field Production) to provide production assistance to Producer and Field Directors related to location, media storage logging and labeling.
- Log media and prep for archiving.
- Write scripts for local productions, promotional announcements, online and social media.
- Assist in event facilitation including: audience and guest reception, venue relations and ticketing.
- Other duties as assigned.
At the conclusion of the internship, the Intern will be able to:
- Time and back-time segments.
- Cue roll-ins, preview graphics for and during live shows.
- Conceptualize, research, and pre-production of programs.
- Prepare studio production materials including: rundowns, scripts, and equipment requirements.
- Familiarity with editing process/video post-production.
- Understand video formats for television, online and mobile platforms.
- Prepare promotional/community outreach elements.
The Intern will be evaluated during an exit interview with the Production Manager and a presentation will be prepared and delivered to DPTV staff regarding the key learning objectives that were achieved during the semester.
- Excellent oral, written, and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Excellent online research skills.
- A general sense of administrative management.
- Familiarity with television production preferred.
Interns should also possess the ability to work independently, meet deadlines, take initiative, and must be able to function effectively with a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Enrollment in a university or vocational tech training program.
- Pursuing broadcasting, film, video production, telecommunications, communications/journalism, or business/marketing degree preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work mandatory 20 hours per week, minimum 3 days, with a 16 week commitment.
What You’ll Get:
- Amazing hands on experience working in the Television industry.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
Intern applicants must be currently enrolled at a college or university, or have recently (within past 12 months) graduated with a relevant degree. The internship program is unpaid and focused on education and training.