Director, Major Gifts
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Director, Major Gifts in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The Director, Major Gifts, will work with the Senior Vice President of Development, development team, and initiative leaders and senior staff in developing and implementing strategic, multi-level plans for achieving the organization’s fundraising goals. The Director will assist in designing, implementing, and managing a comprehensive, proactive fundraising plan focused on expanding philanthropic giving to Detroit Public TV & WRCJ. The Director will manage a portfolio of prospects and collaborate with the team to solicit major gift prospects for transformational, annual and planned giving support.
- Develop and execute strategies to identify, research, cultivate and solicit qualified prospects for major and planned gifts in collaboration and cooperation with the Senior Vice President, Development
- Develop strategies and approaches to generate ever-higher levels of giving
- Work with other members of the revenue generating departments in support of individual giving, sustainer giving, member services, business development, special events, web and on-air communications support, and database mining
- Respond to inquiries and meet with prospects and their advisors in one-on-one or group settings
- Negotiate terms of major gifts and planned giving agreements with donors
- Provide tax and estate planning information necessary to secure and promote planned/deferred gifts
- Manage major individual cultivation and stewardship events
- Identify prospective donors
- Conduct solicitations
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrable evidence of high net worth portfolio management, including the ability to evaluate, develop, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospects
- Excellent communication skills combined with strong writing and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships internally and externally
- Skilled in using personal computers and software programs for retrieving, organizing, and researching donor/prospect information and to analyze data
- Desire to work in a values based organization that serves the educational, cultural, and informational needs of the community
- Ability to quickly learn Detroit Public TV & WRCJ programming and initiatives, audiences served and partnerships with ability to persuasively connect and articulate a donor’s interest to DPTV & WRCJ for philanthropic support
- High level of sophistication in social and professional settings
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed to support station and community events
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field required
- 7-10 years of major individual gift fundraising experience
- Experience in healthcare or higher ed fundraising preferred
- Experience managing other fundraisers preferred
- Experience in incorporating planned giving into major gifts solicitations
What You’ll Get:
- Excellent benefits package that includes 403(b) employer match, medical, dental, vision and much more.
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 1/23/2018
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ FM 90.9, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.