Foundations and Grant Specialist
Who We Are:
Detroit Public Television (DPTV) is the non-commercial, viewer-supported PBS-member station watched by more than 1.5 million people in Detroit and Southeast Michigan and another 1.2 million people throughout Canada each week. Our vision is for a community in which people trust public media to help them discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
DPTV offers the country’s most watched 24/7 PBS Kids channel, along with favorite local and national arts and cultural programming and trusted news shows, such as PBS NewsHour. The station is engaged in the community using the power of media to provide knowledge and understanding that serve the local needs.
DPTV, a 501(c) 3 organization licensed to the Detroit Educational Television Foundation and governed by a volunteer board of trustees from the local business, civic, and cultural communities manages WRCJ 90.9 FM, Detroit's classical and jazz radio station, located in the Detroit School of Arts.
In addition to the main channel 56.1, the station also operates Detroit PBS Kids Channel, 56.2; CREATE 56.3 and The WORLD channel 56.4.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role Foundations and Grant Specialist in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The Foundations & Grant Specialist is responsible for the growth and development of Detroit Public Television and WRCJ-FM’s prospecting, grant writing and grant tracking and reporting for relationships and partnerships with philanthropic foundations. Partnerships will be created and nurtured for the purpose of raising funding to serve the organization mission including; general operating support, initiative and project funding, revenue for production; local and national projects; digital platforms and events.
- Research philanthropic foundation giving opportunities aligned with DPTV & WRCJ annual support, key initiatives, projects; streamline and accelerate the funding process from the idea stage to full funding.
- Support the organization’s foundation relationship managers and their portfolios of foundations with grant writing, grant tracking and reporting to service, with the goal of establishing long-term relationships, investors, and funders.
- Connect and align projects to funder relationships based on strategic interests and in-depth knowledge of DPTV and WRCJ capabilities and products.
- Position case for support with foundations, through the understanding of organization vision, strategy and impact.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to match funder needs and interests with DPTV & WRCJ initiatives and programming for support with a focus on early childhood, journalism, energy and environment and arts and culture.
- Advocate for foundation needs and expectations throughout the organization to improve processes and ensure funding outcomes.
- Track the development of strategies meet grant deliverables for foundations, government entities, corporate foundations and charitable giving programs.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to the mission and standards of public broadcasting
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to plan for and work under pressure of deadlines
- Strategic and creative thinker and collaborator
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, Non-Profit Management, or related field or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience writing grants
- 2+ years of experience managing grants
- 2+ years of experience in a role responsible for revenue generation
- Knowledge of Michigan and national foundations and corporations
- Passion and enthusiasm for Detroit Public Television & WRCJ and its mission, vision, values and program/content areas
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- Knowledge of public media and/or other broadcast media preferred
- Deep knowledge, appreciation and understanding of Detroit preferred
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience using foundation grant portals and systems
What You’ll Get:
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 7/1/2019
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.