Special Events Intern
Detroit Public Television is looking for a Special Events Intern to join our team in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The Special Events intern will assist with all facets of special event planning. You will work directly with the Manger of Member Events and within the Events Department in planning, supporting and executing a wide-range of events, as well as help assist with some administrative duties as needed. You will become familiar with the processes of the station and event planning, while also learning in a creative and fast-paced environment.
Position will shadow other event department staff, offer input into projects, be invited to meetings, and may be asked to assist the Communications Department on occasion.
- Work with Manger of Member Events to assist with the planning and coordination of meetings and events.
- Maintain up-to-date event documents including event checklist, request forms and action plans.
- Procure and organize supplies for events
- Research venues for location, general pricing, food/beverage options, etc. to assist in building files for departmental use.
- Assist with communications around the event including timelines, calendars and reports.
- Assist with onsite event management & execution including set-up/strike.
At the conclusion of the internship, the intern will be able to:
- Create an events budget.
- Support the execution of events and large meetings.
- Understand the inner workings of nonprofit organization.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, mission-driven organization.
- Facilitate a presentation that will be prepared and delivered to DPTV staff regarding the key learning objectives that were achieved during the semester.
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to participate within a team and also work independently as needed.
- Organizational skills, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
- Must be currently enrolled in a university or vocational tech training. Second year status is preferred.
- Pursuing a degree in Special Events and/or Hospitality Industry.
- Mandatory 20 hours per week, with a 12 week commitment. Some late evenings and weekends will be required.
- Interest in the Arts and Non Profit Sector.
What You’ll Get:
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
Intern applicants must be currently enrolled at a college or university, or have recently (within past 12 months) graduated with a relevant degree. The internship program is unpaid and focused on education and training.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 7/31/2018
Detroit Public Television is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.