We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Event Manager in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The Events Manager is responsible for the planning, coordination and execution of events at Detroit Public Television and WRCJ. Successful events will serve to further the objectives of the station, whether that is to cultivate and engage current and prospective donors, attract and retain new members, advance community outreach or support essential initiatives of the station across all critical areas. This position is also responsible for managing the volunteer and reception staff that oversees the recruitment, retention, training and recognition of station volunteers. The Events Manager collaborates regularly with colleagues both within the Communications Department and in other Departments to ensure full station support, commitment, understanding and teamwork for all events.
- Maintain an events calendar with a detailed timeline for each event; share event status and information with organization and all stakeholders
- Employ Teamwork as a project management tool for major events, to establish a task checklist and to create assignments for the successful execution of all responsibilities
- Create and manage budgets for each event; meet or exceed budgeted revenue projects; manage payments, purchase orders and check requests
- Coordinate services for events, such as: accommodation and transportation for participants, facilities, catering, signage, displays, name tags, special needs requirements and event security. Ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws
- Provide agreed-upon recognition for event sponsors
- Evaluate and select providers of services according to DPTV requirements and budget
- Lead and organize registration of event participants
- Manage mailing lists and invitation procedures
- Work closely with the Communications Department to guide the production of invitations, signage and program books for events as required. Organize and provide staffing, equipment and print materials for event booths, registration tables and similar station presences
- Organize surveys, in coordination with other station departments, to assess effectiveness of events
- Conduct post-event evaluations to identify improvements for future events
- Keep abreast of current meeting management best practice, standards and trends by reading trade publications, attending seminars and consulting with other meeting professionals
- Oversee Volunteer management to attract, retain and engage station volunteers; and assign and support required pledge duties
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Affinity for and ability to represent the mission and vision of Detroit Public Television
- Strong commitment to creating effective, memorable and mission-focused events
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact successfully with diverse communities
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and database management software
- Bachelor’s Degree in Event Planning, Communications, Business or a related field strongly preferred
- Certification in meeting planning strongly preferred
- 7+ years of experience planning and staging fundraising and recognition events
- 7+ years of experience managing database technology
- 5+ years of experience managing or leading individuals and teams preferred
- Nonprofit experience preferred
What You’ll Get:
- Excellent benefits package that includes 403(b) employer match, medical, dental, vision and much more.
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 4/20/2018
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ FM 90.9, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.