We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Events Intern in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
An Events Intern will have an opportunity to gain first-hand experience, working alongside experienced professionals who will provide guidance, instruction and mentoring. The intern will assist with all facets of event planning, collaborating directly with the Events Manager in planning, supporting and executing a wide-range of events, as well as helping to assist with administrative duties as needed. The intern will become familiar with the processes of the station and event planning, while also learning in a creative and fast-paced environment.
Position will shadow other Communications and Engagement Department staff, offer input into projects and participate in department and station meetings. The intern will also have the opportunity to learn from and contribute to the other work of the department.
- Work with the Event Manager in the planning and coordination of meetings and events
- Maintain up-to-date event documents including event checklist, request forms and action plans
- Procure and organize supplies for events
- Research venues for location, general pricing, food/beverage options, etc., to assist in building files for departmental use
- Assist with communications around the event including timelines, calendars and reports
- Assist with onsite event management and execution including set-up/strike
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to participate within a team and also work independently as needed
- Organizational skills, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Must be currently enrolled in 4-year university, sophomore or higher status preferred – or have graduated within the past 12 months with a relevant degree
- Pursuing a hospitality, event management, communications, journalism, marketing or related degree
- Able to work 12-20 hours per week for a maximum of 1 semester, or 16 weeks. Some late evenings and weekend work required
What You’ll Get:
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
The internship program is unpaid and focuses on education and training.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 9/07/2018
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ FM 90.9, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.