Digital Platforms Intern
Detroit Public Television (DPTV) is the non-commercial, viewer-supported PBS-member station watched by more than 1.5 million people in Detroit and Southeast Michigan and another 1.2 million people throughout Canada. Our vision is for a community in which people trust public media to help them discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
DPTV offers 24 hours of PBS Kids programs each weekday, along with other favorite local and national programming and news shows, such as PBS Newshour. The station is notably active in the community producing local programs that showcase arts, culture, and news analysis using the power of media to provide knowledge and understanding.
DPTV, a 501(c) 3 organization licensed to the Detroit Educational Television Foundation and governed by a volunteer board of trustees from the local business, civic, and cultural communities also manages WRCJ 90.9 FM, Detroit's classical and jazz radio station, located in the Detroit School of Arts.
In addition to the main channel 56.1, the station also operates Detroit PBS Kids Channel, 56.2; CREATE 56.3 and The WORLD channel 56.4.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Digital Platforms Intern in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
A Digital Platforms Intern will have an opportunity to gain first-hand experience, working alongside experienced professionals who will provide guidance, instruction and mentoring. The internship will involve reporting, writing and editing for the many and varied projects of the Communications and Engagement Department. That will include digital and social media posts, print articles, emails, media releases and other assignments as needed. The intern will learn how to create and execute plans for the communications, engagement, journalism, education, events, video production, programming and all the other exciting and valuable projects that the department undertakes to help fulfill the mission of the Detroit Public Television.
- Conceive, design and produce web pages that deliver DPTV content to a digital audience
- Design, write and produce content for the various e-newsletters of the station
- Transcode video files from broadcast-ready to a web-optimized format
- Create video clips and promotional social videos using QuickTime Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro
- Review videos to write summaries and develop key words for meta data
- Add meta data to video content delivery networks (CDN) including YouTube and Vimeo
- Help compile analytic reports for monitoring our online and social media communications
- Attend and participate in departmental and station-wide meetings to discuss content, engagement and promotion
- Collaborate with the Events team to publicize, manage and promote events
- Collaborate with members of the Digital, Communications and Engagement teams, as well as departments throughout DPTV
- Other duties as assigned
- Learn, Create, Accomplish, Enjoy
- Basic Microsoft Office skills required, including Excel
- Editing software like Premiere
- Ability to design web pages
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to participate within a team and also work independently as needed
- Organizational skills, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Must be currently enrolled in 4-year university, sophomore or higher status preferred – or have graduated within the past 12 months with a relevant degree
- Pursuing a communications, journalism, marketing, art, design or related degree
- Able to work 12-20 hours per week for a maximum of 1 semester, or 16 weeks. Some weekend and late evening work may be required
What You’ll Get:
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community
- A great work environment.
The internship program is unpaid and focuses on education and training.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 7/26/2019
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ FM 90.9, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.