Business Development Intern
Who We Are:
Detroit Public Television (DPTV) is the non-commercial, viewer-supported PBS-member station watched by more than 1.5 million people in Detroit and Southeast Michigan and another 1.2 million people throughout Canada. Our vision is for a community in which people trust public media to help them discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
DPTV offers 24 hours of PBS Kids programs each weekday, along with other favorite local and national programming and news shows, such as PBS Newshour. The station is notably active in the community producing local programs that showcase arts, culture, and news analysis using the power of media to provide knowledge and understanding.
DPTV, a 501(c) 3 organization licensed to the Detroit Educational Television Foundation and governed by a volunteer board of trustees from the local business, civic, and cultural communities also manages WRCJ 90.9 FM, Detroit's classical and jazz radio station, located in the Detroit School of Arts.
In addition to the main channel 56.1, the station also operates Detroit PBS Kids Channel, 56.2; CREATE 56.3 and The WORLD channel 56.4.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Business Development Intern in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The Business Development Intern will work closely with the Business Development department to support outreach to local organizations and businesses as potential sponsors of programs and events on Detroit Public TV.
- Lead generation: Research prospects and contact information for potential sponsors using LinkedIn and other available methods.
- Identify corporate prospects by monitoring various marketing methods including, social media, digital media, TV, Radio, print ads, and direct mail.
- Learn how to create initial value statements as a catalyst for prospect appointments.
- Research Industry trends as they impact key funder categories.
- Draft contracts for internal booking.
- Join in in sales calls to learn a sales process which blends philanthropy and delivery of marketing assets.
- Assist Product Development specialist in creation of materials for presentation
- May assist Major Gifts and Foundations Departments
- At the conclusion of the internship, a presentation will be prepared and delivered to DPTV staff regarding the key learning objectives that were achieved during the semester.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Basic Microsoft Office skills required, including Excel
- Must be currently enrolled in 4-year university, sophomore or higher status preferred
- Pursuing business/marketing or communications/journalism degree
- Able to work 12-20 hours per week for a maximum of 1 semester, or 16 weeks
What You’ll Get:
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
Intern applicants must be currently enrolled at a college or university, or have recently (within past 12 months) graduated with a relevant degree. The internship program is unpaid and focused on education and training.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 7/26/2019
Detroit Public Television is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.