Business Development Executive
Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: trust, service, achievement, teamwork, respect, creativity and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role Business Development Executive in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The Business Development Executive works to secure corporate and institutional funding for Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9FM including related digital platforms, projects, challenge grants, spot schedules, events and unrestricted gifts.
- Serve as a significant revenue generator for the organization
- Create new funding relationships with aligned corporate and non-profit organizations
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with advertising decision maker from corporate and non-profit funders
- Work as a member of a team to inform sales strategies, product packages and marketing presentations for broadcast, online, event, and pledge programming
- Effectively utilize CSPI disciplines, research tools, data and storytelling to create and grow revenue opportunity with relationships
- Continually fill funnel/prospect pipeline with new funder/advertiser prospects
- Close business and meet individual established revenue goal, prepare contracts and ensure fulfillment of contract deliverables, while managing account relationship throughout
- Coordinate production and scheduling of underwriting acknowledgments, prepare reports, collect client invoices
- Report daily sales and contact management activity
- Attend client events, station challenge events, special events and assist with engagement events within the radio and television stations
- Attend department meetings, sales meetings and all staff meetings
- Other duties as assigned, including supporting station events and fundraising activities
- Artful sales skills and closer
- Excellent connector and strategic thinker
- Excellent relationship builder and owner
- Proven reputation as a reliable account manager with a focus on detail
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; strong influencer
- Excellent people skills, able to work effectively with other members of a team and other departments as well as with prospects and existing clients
- Ability to self-prioritize top opportunities and key needs to close revenue
- Ability to manage time and resources effectively
- Ability to work independently under pressure with minimal supervision
- Ability to work collaboratively with transparency
- Ability to contribute creative ideas
- Strong commitment to customer service and maintaining trusted relationship of the station in the community and with clients
- Excellent organizational ability with strong attention to details
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in broadcast sales or advertising agency sales
- 3+ years of experience in direct sales; demonstrated ability to ask for the order
- 3+ years of experience cold calling, developing new prospects, and turning them into clients for television and radio
- Existing contacts within relevant marketing and funding circles
- Willingness to work irregular hours on short notice
- Demonstrated passion for Public Media: Television and Radio
- Experience with Excel, Media Audit, Salesforce, preferred
What You’ll Get:
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 5/22/2019
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.